Monday, April 5, 2010

Japanese bbq beef - Jojoen


Place: Jojoen
Location: Tokyo, Japan (I've eaten at both the Shinjuku and Ueno Park locations, and I preferred Shinjuku since they had one waiter who spoke a little bit of English, versus Ueno Park, which had none. For English-speaking tourists, Shinjuku seems to be a little bit easier to get to and communicate with, but the quality and execution seemed the same at both locations.)
Website: http://www.jojoen.co.jp/index.html
Recommended by: danae
Summary: I've told many people that if I could pick anything in the world to be the last thing I eat before I die, Jojoen's Tokusen Rousu usugiri (with salt and sauce) would be it. This is Premium Japanese Black Angus short rib meat, that you cook on your personal table grill. It's similar to Korean bbq, except with Japanese barbeque 1) the meat is usually not marinated, and served with only salt, or a light sauce 2) the Japanese grills are different. It doesn't really seem to make the meat taste any different, but I've never come out smelling like meat after being in Jojoen, versus any other Korean bbq place I've been to. 3) The cuts of meat are just different. 4) And at least at Jojoen, the meat I had here was the best quality meat I've EVER had. Perfectly marbled with fat, so tender, and the meat just melts in your mouth. At Jojoen, they will ask you if you want the meat served with salt or sauce, and I believe my favorite was to get both. Sometimes they get confused by this order, and I've only managed it successfully once.

So far the best Yakiniku place I've had in the US is at Hiroshi Yakiniku in Honolulu, HI. There seem to be several Yakiniku places in Honolulu, and I didn't get to try any but Hiroshi, but Hiroshi was pretty darn good, and much cheaper (not to mention, closer) than Jojoen. My favorite dish here was the Toro Kalbi.
Someone on Yelp described this dish as "meat flavored butter" (in a good way), and I would have to agree! I've also tried Manpuku in LA, and it just didn't come close.

The Jojoen menu










On the grill.




1 comment:

  1. Manpuku - LA isn't nearly as good as Costa Mesa. I still think it would fall way short of Hiroshi.

    ReplyDelete