Monday, April 5, 2010

Cachapas - Zaguan Bakery and Cafe

Place: Zaguan Bakery and Cafe
Location: Dallas, TX
Website: http://www.zaguanbakery.com/
Recommended by: danae
Summary: I'd never heard of cachapas, a Venezuelan dish, before my trip to Zaguan. However, I haven't been able to stop thinking about them since. They're almost like quesadillas... but instead of a flour tortilla, the shell of the cachapa is made out of something totally different. It tastes like semi-sweet cream corn, and has a soft, spongy texture, almost like a pancake. Yes, the cachapa is a texture food for me, but the other winner here is also the cheese. Soft, and not too salty, just the way I like cheese. I believe my favorite thing here was the Renia Pepia Cachapa (a corn pancake stuffed with chicken, avocado and cheese). I have a huge sweet tooth and was really excited about all the bakery goodies this place had to offer as well, but I have to say that nothing stood out, and it was all a little too sweet. Sad.

(Note: Photo is from Yelp)

No comments:

Post a Comment